Jessica W. Liu
UX / UI Designer
progress-thumb-sm.jpg

Progress

4-week UX Strategy & Research Project to practice creating a product based on user needs

designlab_header.png
 

Project Background

UX Research & Strategy was a 4-week online course offered by DesignLab. Through this course I learned the basics of UX and user-centered design, explored core research techniques, and created deliverables based on real data.

 

Design Challenge

A stakeholder believes there is a big market for people wanting to change their behaviour (exact behaviour doesn’t matter), and would like to create an app to help people reach their goals.

 
 

Research

Based on the provided research data of user's general habits and tendencies, I separated each users' response based on the user, then grouped similar responses together to see if I could find any patterns to determine user groups.

 
 Users' responses separated by the users and the questions

Users' responses separated by the users and the questions

 Similar responses were separated and grouped together to reveal any patterns

Similar responses were separated and grouped together to reveal any patterns

 

From the responses, it appeared as if there were two user groups: the entrepreneurs and the regular procrastinator. The two user groups had issues maintaining focus on their projects and often found themselves procrastinating instead. For the entrepreneurs, it appeared as if they were often procrastinating on their work projects to accomplish their personal tasks. For other procrastinators, it appeared as if they would often get bored of their projects and would rather browse social media.

Based on the data, I was able to create 2 empathy maps: one for the work-from-home entrepreneurs and one for procrastinators.

 
 
 

Storyboarding to Understand

Based on the empathy maps of the two user groups, I created a storyboard to better understand the problem space around the users.

 
 
 

Framing the Problem

To reframe the problem in a new way, I created POV statements to gain clearer insight into the problems facing the users based on their responses.

 
 
 

Brainstorming Solutions

After synthesizing all of the information into key problems that I wanted to tackle, I did 2 brainstorm sessions using the “Crazy Eights” method during which I was able to generate ideas that could be a solution for the users.

I jotted down some features I thought could help users reach their productivity end goals and help maintain momentum on current project tasks

 
 "Crazy Eights" - Session 1

"Crazy Eights" - Session 1

 "Crazy Eights" - Session 2

"Crazy Eights" - Session 2

 

Through the two brainstorm sessions, I came up with an idea for a product that could act as a personal assistant to users. Users could input the their projects, separate out the tasks based on deadlines, and have reminders to take breaks while prioritizing their own personal goals. I wanted to create an app that helped users balance their work and personal lives and motivated them to finish one task before moving on to the other.

 

User Journey Storyboard

To see how the possible solutions could work in the context of the users’ lives, I created another storyboard incorporating the ideas to see how the solutions could be useful.

 
 User journey for one segment of the user groups: the entrepreneur

User journey for one segment of the user groups: the entrepreneur

 

The user would utilize the app to help plan out his project schedule in order to know exactly what he needed to do, how long it would take him, and tracks his progress towards his goal. 

 

Testing the Idea

To truly understand if this app would cater to the users appropriately, I created another storyboard with more detail to bring users in for feedback. I walked 2 people through the user journey to see if it made sense to others how the app could be used in the context.

 
 

With feedback from users, I then created a landing page test that highlighted the key features of the app and used UsabilityHub to see how users responded to the concept.

The test revealed some things that surprised me and helped me formulate a better concept.

Although this was only a small sample size, I was surprised to find that the feature where it allowed users to be rewarded for their progress was the least notable features for the users. Instead, the users preferred the feature that allowed them to focus on one task at a time, find bottlenecks in their workflow, and managing their tasks and deadlines.

This brought me back to the drawing board and I was able to rework the concept's features into a final version of the landing page to test.

 
 Final iteration of landing page based on landing page test for concept validation

Final iteration of landing page based on landing page test for concept validation

 

Reflections

As my first dip into the entire UX process, this small but quick project helped me understand the importance of research for UX. The UsabilityHub test allowed me to see that ideas that I think are great may not always be the greatest among the target users. Ultimately, this was a project for a crash course in UX, but were I to revisit the project, I would probably focus more on the product itself rather than the landing page for it.